Monday, May 31, 2004

Analyse this

As part of my coursework I have to cover topics based on cultural diversity and the efforts to be made to make everyone comfortable,merge all the differences at the same time help each other to relate to their culture and heritage.

Now I was just wondering about the diverse cultures we have back in India. The different religions and the different castes. The different languages and the dialects.The different physicial features and etc.. etc.. Of course the one thing which unifies all is that we are of the same race.Now, what comes into my mind is that we never had a class wherein we are taught about our diversity, how to cope up with the tamil language when you go to Chennai(it's really hard to survive if you didn't understand Tamil),how to relate yourself to the Indians from the eastern part(Mizoram, Arunachal Pradesh etc..) and how should you mingle with a parent who is of different religion.(No offense on the regions or religions I mentioned please..I just wanted to make my point clear.)

Moreover we never fail to associate with our family background and culture and our language and dialects.It seems we have a natural tendency to adjust ourselves according to the situations and diverse cultures. Now my question is that if we are far more efficient in amalgamating everything and are far more efficient in merging our differences why do we still have the class and religious feuds? Why do we still have riots and curfews?


Comments:
Because of two things: politics and inherited psychological baggage.
 
People by nature are not open to diversity.

It seems on a small scale that people exhibit efficient amalgamation in two cases. 1. in their subconscious, people think that they can prove that their religion/culture is better 2. they find the other group trendy. In these cases, we see a peaceful mix of cultures (assuming the mentality of the opposite community being subordinate)

On a larger scale, (like in India) where we have a vast diversity, everyone knows that, whether they want it or not; almost all of these cultures are equally rich. They understand that there is no way they can subjugate the other culture. This frustration comes out in the form of violence and intolerance.

I have seen north indians commenting cheaply about south indians and south indians giving an equally taunting reply. The fact is, both know the goods and bads of both sides and they just do not want to agree that both are equal.
 
I just came across your blog about anxiety disorder and
wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed
I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site about "anxiety disorder
so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch!
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

anxiety article disorder
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?