Friday, June 25, 2004

It's her personality......

"Oh really"? The comment left me thinking and pondering over what she really meant? In fact I have a habit of writing everything in a detailed and desciptive way. Most of my papers and assignments are very lengthy and very detailed or "wordy". But what does it tell the reader about my personality?
Well,Courtney was suprised by the length of my lesson plans and when she showed it to Heather who happens to be my friend, she gave a very brief and postive(?)remark "It's a part of her personality. She tries to explain every small thing in detail", she said.I was a bit taken back. Of course was suprised that she knew me so well.But?.....
Hmm..so did she mean that I am very descriptive even when I talk?And how does it reflect on my personality?

I was in fact pondering over the same topic this morning. But I have a different explanation to give.Well,I do believe that our academics and our work refelcts our personality but to a great extent there are factors which influence us to behave in a certain way or work in a certain way( may be I am supporting Watson's behaviorism and Skinner's conditioning theory now.They seem to be emebdded in every life experience for me).Thus to completely attribute my lengthy and descriptive work to my personality would be a bias.
Well, I believe I am more descriptive because of the type of education system I was exposed to all through these years till I landed up in the US.Through out my school and college years I was supposed to be as descriptive as possible.( Five marks answers at least two pages, 10 marks answers at least 5 pages). And after getting out of the examination hall the focus of our discussion would naturally be on our performance and also on who took the maximum number of additionals:).It was used to compare each other's performance and also predict their sucess in the exam.Well,no discrimination between the arts and sciences again. I was a science student and still was expected to be as descriptive as possible in my answers.

So you see It is not a part of my personality but the style of writing I had cultivated.Well,I do have some more proof to justify my say.During my proctoring sessions I am supposed to invigilate the examinations.Even this time is spent in observations and most of the time in preparing for my assignments.

Though I did it unintentionally I was suprised when I went through the answer sheets of the biostatistics students from India and America.When both the Indian and the American students took the bio stats exam, the Indian students took more time to complete the test and were also more descriptive in their answers.Most of the Indian students used pens while the Americans used pencils. Thus after collecting their papers and sneaking and peeping through them I felt I wasn't alone.

And I have another strong reason to justify my style to the education system I am exposed.One of these days an american desi had taken the test.(It was hard to know if he was of Indian origin. He rather looked like a Latin American at some point and a tanned white American at another. But still he had some faint features of an Indian.However his name which had an Indian middle name solved the puzzle).
Well, as I had expected this guy took the test in bio statistics and used a pencil and was less descriptive.So my analogies and my analyzing skills helped me to justify my style but is there something to do with my personality? What did Heather actually mean?

Though not a big issue I am still trying to analyze what she meant.





Comments:
all i can say is, this blog was WAY too descriptive ;)
 
Well,Yes, U r right Sham. I am wordy.

And well Ram I like ur explanation.It seems I don't fit into any of your conventional combinations:).However we do not have a choice in our schols or colleges to be more brief. And thus I refer back to our education system again. It allows us to be more decriptive as our exams are essay type while the exams we have here are more to do with condensing our knowledge and just filling the correct choice in the answer sheet.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
I think being descriptive actually helps us in explore unknown areas. I think our education system is correct in this sense.

Let us say we got to write 4 pages for a 10 marks answer. If you are pretty serious about the answer (instead of writing stories) it actually challenges us to explore the different aspects of the question.
If our writing (or thought process in general) is descriptive after noting all the customary parts, we may stumble upon a novel idea which we might not have thought off otherwise. We may get an idea which need not be relevant to the question at hand but be of later use.

But its a risk too... we may go on and on about an issue and if we are not really sure, we may end up either being totally inarticulate or digress away from the topic.

I was pretty lucky that my teachers in the past have actually read my answers (and found quite a few stories sometimes) and graded me accordingly.
 
I agree Ram. In exams, we are tested for the preciseness and descriptive writing more often than not is deceiving than being informative.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?