Friday, July 09, 2004

The relevance of Bindi

Wel, most often I come across very inquisitive and eager minds who want to know a lot about India and our customs. Especially most of them questioned about the significance of bindi.To save my head I did tell them about it's significance which I read when I very young in a monthly book called Wisdom. HoweverI wanted to just check if I was right. To my amazement( or rather dissapointment?) none of my Indian friends knew the answers. So I decided to probe and find out the reason. I found this very interesting article which made me feel proud about our ancestors.
They indeed had a very scientific approach for everything.

Bindi is derived from the Sanskrit word "Bindu" or a drop, it is supposed to signify the mystic third eye of a person and therefore, when properly marked, becomes the central point of the base of the creation itself. It is a symbol of auspiciousness, good fortune and festivity.

Why Bindi?
The very positioning of the bindi is significant. The area between the eyebrows is the seat of latent wisdom. This area is known as the "Agna" (6th chakra) meaning "command". It is said to control various levels of concentration attained through meditation. The central point of this area is the "Bindu" wherein all experience is gathered in total concentration. Tantric tradition has it that during meditation, the "kundalini" - the latent energy that lies at the base of the spine is awakened and rises to the point of sahasrara (7th chakra) situated in the head or brain. The central point, the bindu, becomes therefore a possible outlet for this potent energy. It is believed that the red kumkum lies between the eyebrows to retain energy in the human body.

courtesy:http://www.shaadi.com/wedding/rituals/bindi/040306-bindi-history.php<

Comments:
It is quite true that there are so many (scientific) reasons for having bindi.. as far as I am concerned, the aesthetic appeal itself is a sufficient reason for putting bindi!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?