Thursday, October 21, 2004

Have I grown up or still have to?

This is my second year celebrating Dusshera and Diwali away from home :(. I really wish I had some supernatural powers, the supernatural powers which Pranati usually talks about. Well, Pranati is my neighbor’s granddaughter, who is in the 4th grade. Literally a chatter box. However,what I enjoy having small and interesting conversations with Pranati. She combines logical thinking with her imagination to explain everything (including why she likes to wear her torn jeans:). Though rarely I spend time with her, whenever I do, I am fascinated by her stories:). Here is a smaple.

One fine day the fire alarm broke and everyone rushed out of their apartments. Aunty, Mandira (Pranati’s mom) and Pranati were also out. We all waited outside anxiously probing the reason behind it.

Meanwhile, aunty went to the other block and returned with some news. The alarm went off beacuse of someone's negligence rather than real fire.Someone had inadvertently pushed the switch on. She advised me to go in and resume my work. However, as I didn't have much to do and was impatiently waiting for the cops to switch off the alarm, I waited outside. Meanwhile, Mandira was with me and we both started talking. Our topics ranged from skin care to the coming winter which were interrupted by Pranati. She liked to add in her comments for everything.

While discussing some common issues our attention shifted to the coming winter. And here we go, while both of us were apprehensive about the chilly winds of the coming winter, Pranati's eyes glowed with excitement. She immediately interrupted us saying, "Actually I am very glad that winter is soon approaching. We won't have to bear with the bugs (ladybirds) anymore and daily I can have hot chocolate to drink".
Wow! That was a real good reason to enjoy winter. I couldn’t but smile at her and laugh about her innocence. “Well, would I ever enjoy winter for a cup of hot chocolate? How Interesting!! These kids really live in a dream world ha!,” I thought.

The sound was unbearable. As the alarm was located very close to my door, I thought of waiting outside than sitting in and getting my ear drum damaged. We were waiting for the police to turn it off. Meanwhile, the topic of the discussion turned towards the fire alarm. "Who might have turned it on? It is so annoying”, I said. "Well, someone might have done it by mistake", said Mandira. As she tried to continue with her explanation, Pranati immediately jumped in and continued with her own explanation. “Mom, I think someone might have arrived recently and they might be having a kid. And this kid might be a very naughty one. He might have asked his mom, about the fire alarm. She might have instructed him for what it was and then he might have tried to pull it for fun. I don't think it was done by any elders and the kids who have been living here for some time.All the kids who have been living here know the fire alarm and what happens when it rings. So it must have been the work of some mischievous kid who arrived recently",she said. I was really amazed. I couldn't but appreciate her analyzing skills.

So here are two contrasting explanations by the same person. One, a very naïve and rosy while the other which is very rational and highly reasonable. Well, I might be exaggerating but very often I thought she had real good imagination. Do children of her age typically do this or is she exceptionally good at imagining things? How can she be so silly about liking winter for hot chocolate while be able to give a logical explanation of the fire alarm.Is it prior knowledge or is it sheer diligence?
I don't know if my views about Pranati have anything to do with today's class on stages of development but I just can't stop thinking about it.

Now, back to square one. I really wish I had a magic band or a witches broom to fly home and return back by Monday. And, incase I get one will I "really" return back by Monday? It seems I haven't grown up yet. I still think like an elementary school kid:).



Comments:
Well, she makes me feel the same:).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?