Thursday, October 14, 2004

The Presidential Elections

The fever is on. Be it the classroom or a general discussion, everyone talks about it. The newspapers are flashed with the latest happenings while the TV sets are tuned to the catch the latest news on it.
Yesterday after getting into my apartment,I found two messages flashed on my answering machine. One of them was a lengthy message to vote for John Kerry. I couldn't stop but laugh.Even my answering machine is not spared.However, when I was walking across the Dubuque street in downtown, I noticed an inscription on one of the huge walls stating "BUSH=MISTAKE". This indicates the peak of the election craze.
You just can't escpae it.Most often you encounter guys/girls with a clipboard trying to coax you to sign up for voting.Well, all this amuses me but sometimes irrriates me.
I met a friend of mine on one of the bus trips and we can't but discuss the elections again. When asked about my choice, I replied with an indifferent attitude."I was never interested in politics and will never be.Moreover,I do not have the right to vote. So what difference does it make by knowing my opinion?".This was my reply. It was indeed caustic and resulted in a small discussion of the pros and cons of the elections.This chat continued for a brief time and later we drifted to some other issues.
However later when I was refelcting upon my attitude towards politics and my involvement in it, I really felt like a frog in the well. I felt bad bad about my ignorance.Well,for sure I do not have the right to vote here but I never voted in India too. I hated politics and had a hostile feeling towards everyone involved in it. I also felt that it never made any difference even if I casted my vote. To top it all, I never had my voter's identification card till I was 23 because of my laziness and because of the poor administration system. And by the time, I knew the importance and wanted to vote,I was out of the country. However, that is another story.
Though I am enlightened to some extent, I am more fascinated that the attitude of people , especially woem is almost the same everywhere. And what even amazes me is that a country as advanced as America also has the same problems. It is indeed surprising to see Jennifer Aniston on the TV campaigning for the women voters. I just can't beleive that even in America women do not get involved in voting.
So what does this say? The conditions of women all over the world are the same.

Whether it is America or India, it doesn't make any difference about the way people think. You find people who do not vote in India as well as in America. Even in America you find women still fighting for their rights. It is astonishing that the US still can't boast of a Lady president as much as it boasts of being the Big brother of the world.
Any where in the world, women are always oppressed and deprived of the best. They still need to be reminded of their rights.

Comments:
As you mentioned in the blog, women need to be more politically aware.
If anyone can help women assert their equality, its women themselves.

I understand how dirty politics is, but the way I look at it is, the politicians are dirty not the politics. So, ROCK THE VOTE :-)
I pity the American youth. They do not have a choice. In the last election in India, we had atleast 3-4 choices of prime ministers (their credibility is a whole different issue :-( )
I have never missed an voting while I was in India (even when I was not voting, I had gone with my parents to the polling booth) Too bad, I could not vote in the last elections.
 
Well Sham, I agree that the Americans do not have a varity of choice but what's the use? It doesn't make any difference.Moreover it causes more commotion and results in colaition govt who again try to act funny when they get a majority.
And coming to ploitics, you are right. Politics is not bad but the ones who enter it are. Maybe I am trying to generalize again. But the thruth is that most of them try to use it as a tool to unsurp power and authority.

Well, atleast now I am more enligtened and will for sure cast my vote but I still feel bad for the unstable political scenario in our country. I wish we had more able minded leaders.
 
Hi
Hating politics will get us nowhere. I believe that apolitics is a greater evil than politics. Also, in this age of corporate hegemony, the government will be the only institution we'll have some control over.
 
Hi Vijalakshmi and Ram,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I actualy agree with you but the fact is that most of the "educated class" shy away from voting. It is ronical that the wellread ones do not wantt o particiapte in their country's progrss. But as Ram said,if able minded leaders come up the stage then I hope the scenario will change. However,it is important that everyone casts their vote.
 
check out what half america saying... http://sorryeverybody.com
 
last thing for you do is reasonsing for not voting... make your presence count... and sure it counts... aware & interest two different thing.. even if your not interested you should be aware of what happening around you... guess one of those uncommon common sense...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?