Tuesday, November 02, 2004

A weeping goodbye


Pappu, originally uploaded by swapna bolleboina.

On Saturday my aunt broke the news about Pappu's death. Pappu was a cute little pomerian She was my grandma's adopted daughter and the only one who stayed with her all the time.
A very good companion of my granndma, she loved to go out for a walk. Even a small squeaky sound was a signal strong enough to make her bark. Whenver she barked, my grandma had to shout back at her to stop it. There would be a small clash of egos wherein both would try to make their point but at last Pappu would give up:). She knew she could take out her anger in another way. Guess how? Well, by not eating till my Gradnma apologized:). Believe it or not but that's the thruth. However, I still wonder whether it really understood our language and emotions.
However, Pappu behaved almost like a human. Whether it is food or people, she had her own favorites. She loved chocolates and meat. My grandma had to plead her to drink milk (I wonder why she wanted it to drink milk. After all do dogs drink milk?). When Sudha( my elder sister) got married, pappu missed her a lot. Whenever she would come to visit grandma ,she would run wagging her tail to her and would always follow where ever she went. It was quite evident that she missed her. My sister who stayed with my grandma , took great care of Pappu. It hated to take bath and my sister would slowly entice her by brushing her back gently, taking it in her arms, whispering sweet nothings to her and then ....Pappu would discover herself in the bathroom:).She would revolt back by barking for some time and squealing when the water was poured but would later yied to my sister.
Nedless to say, though I visited my grandma often I did not have any special afffection towards Pappu. Well, neither do I hate animals nor do I have any pets, but never got so deeply engrossed with animals. Maybe beacuse I never had any at home. However, since I heard the news I really feel sad. Whenver I come across people walking their animals down the street, the picture of Pappu flashes in front of me.Well, we humans are strange. We remember people/things or events most often when they are no more within our reach. Is it true with everyone or just with me?
Anyway, I felt the need to have a balanced mind and think about other living organisms around me. May be it's my guilty consciousness which made me write about her.
Good bye Pappu!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?