Monday, December 20, 2004

Am I am ethno centrist?

Believe it or not, I have always been fascinated by the varied cultures around the world.
Moreover, after coming to the US, my interest in understanding various cultures has reached to a very interesting stage. Needless to say, I am always trying to understand the fine intricate details of the intra-racial differences and at times am successful in identifying the individuals belonging to a certain race. Apart from the differences, I also try to find some similarities between various cultures and am fascinated by the way we Indians differ from most of the other races. Indians are so unique. Right from the geographical area, to the languages, religions and the cultures, we are a very diverse group. No wonder India is referred to as a subcontinent with so many varied cultures, languages, geographical areas and religions. The differences are even more marked when in the morphological features of individuals from different parts of the country. Comparing ourselves to the Europeans and the Africans, I find our country far more diverse than these two huge continents. The south Indians, are darker while the north Indians are more light skinned. In parts of India (Madhya Pradesh, Andaman and Nicobar Islands) we find tribes who resemble people of African origin, while most of the east Indians (Mizoram, Manipal, Nagaland and Assam) has a close resemblance to the mongoloid or the Far East Indians. Apart from the above intra-ethnic differences among Indians, we find some more morphological differences among the south Indians, the north Indians, the West Indians and the east Indians. Why is it so? Why are we so different? The differences cannot be attributed solely to the climatic conditions and I firmly believe that anthropology could give me a better answer to my question.

My whole purpose of delving into these issues is not to fan my “ethnocentrism” but to understand the mysteries of human race. In fact most often I believe that the humans actually originated from the same ancestor and then underwent evolution to adapt themselves. Diversity flavor and makes the life more colorful and more meaningful.
However my recent enthusiasm to know more about the various races around the world has more to do with my inquisitiveness than to identify myself with a particular race.
My quest to learn more about anthropology is to do with my quest for knowledge than with the feeling of ethnocentricism.

Comments:
Yes, its very interesting to see so much diversity in the indian subcontinent. I too wonder why but I have not come across convincing clues yet
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?